NATURAL GAS SAFETY TIPS
It’s important for you to do your part to make a safe fuel even safer. Here are some
SNIFFY DOs and SNIFFY DON'Ts
for natural gas safety.
• Learn all you can about natural gas. The more you know...the more you will be safe.
• Use your nose. If you ever detect even a small amount of the odor of natural gas in the air, don’t stay—get away. Then, contact your natural gas provider. If you don’t know that number, dial emergency services, 9-1-1.
• Look for the blue flame. If pilot lights and burners have a steady, blue flame, they are operating correctly. (Decorative gas fire logs are the only exception. Their flame is usually yellow.)
• Have all gas appliances, furnaces, vents, flues, chimneys and gas lines in your home or business inspected every year or two by qualified industry professionals.
• Keep the areas around all appliances and equipment clean and unblocked to allow for proper air flow.
• Follow manufacturer instructions for the care and use of gas appliances and equipment.
• Make sure there is at least one multipurpose fire extinguisher in your home or place of business.
• Review these natural gas safety tips regularly with ALL family members and coworkers.
• Ever let small children play with or near natural gas appliances or pipes, even the knobs on the oven or cooktop.
• Use your stove or oven for anything other than cooking (for instance, to heat your home, under any circumstances.
• Move or install a gas appliance or change the connector in any way without professional assistance.
• Use a space heater UNTIL you are sure it has been vented properly. If using a vent-free heater, make sure the automatic cut-off switch is operational.
• Install a gas appliance yourself, unless you area a qualified contractor. Instead, you should always seek professional assistance.
• Ever store household chemicals or combustible materials near gas appliances.
• Above all, don’t forget to learn what to do if you ever smell natural gas in the air: SMELL GAS? ACT FAST!
IT’S BEST TO BE SAFE: If you smell gas RIGHT NOW—don't touch or turn off your computer—leave the area! After you go someplace away from the odor, call your natural gas provider. If you don't know that number, dial emergency services, 9-1-1.